Sunday, May 07, 2006

'Untitled' ( Or extract from the longer stories)


Page 9


Page 12

I've put up a two page extract from a much longer story that I finished working on. The other pieces up on the blog are the 2/3 pages long stories .
The longer stories - (15 to twenty pages or longer) work a little differently from the shorter ones. The narrative is more conventional - text and image supporting each other. I'm also a little more disciplined and rein in my arbitrariness to some degree. Working on both the forms does give me more freedom to play ...

This story is not based in Delhi unlike some of the earlier work I have up on the blog. I like to think ( or at least thats the plan ) that the story is being told in Delhi, though it is a story of another place and another time.

I'm still looking for a title .
I'm not very good with titles - or names of characters - a title somehow seems to give the piece an air of finality - and it's difficult to arrive at a title that says only so much and not more , is arbitrary enough and 'belongs' to the story ...
So until I absolutely have to 'name' them - I stick to 'stories' or 'story 1, 2...' . Which i admit is a little ridiculous. And I can imagine - it must be very dull to have to encounter stories called 'stories' , comic books called 'comic book' and so on ...

Though I actually knew someone who after much thinking - landed up calling her dog - 'dog'.

3 comments:

dee iyer said...

wow. you really are talented.
www.iyerup.com thats me

parismita said...

Its not talent, it's just having nothing better to do!

scribbles said...

it's brilliant. thank god you have nothing better to do!